New Hackintosh: HP EliteBook Folio 9470m

By , 2017-04-01 00:23

Update: The macOS Sierra 10.12.4 update breaks backlight brightness control. See below for fixes.

Just in time for April Fools’ day, got a new hackintosh working. And this one even looks like a MacBook Pro!

I present to you, the EliteBook “Pro” (9470m).

EliteBook “Pro” 9470m. Please excuse the messy desktop icons.

The EliteBook 9470m was, if I recall correctly, HP’s second Ultrabook, and their first true “Enterprise” Ultrabook – that is, one with docking capability and easy field repairability . You can find a full review over at NotebookCheck.net.  It was pretty popular with businesses who wanted to give their employees a more affordable and more IT-friendly “MacBook-like” device. Also, it was released back in late 2012, which is just over 4 years ago as of this writing. (Crazy! Time flies.) This means that they can be had relatively cheap in the off-lease market today, as the typical computer lease is between 3-5 years. My local computer store is selling them for under $400, which is a pretty good value in my opinion.

These days, installing macOS is relatively easy compared to 10-12 years ago when I first started messing with Hackintosh/OSx86, so I’ll just post my Clover “EFI” folder which should get you booted into macOS Sierra on the 1366×768 version of the 9470m. I did also swap out the Intel WiFi card for a Dell DW 1510 which works out-of-the-box.

Download my Clover EFI folder (zip 19MB): EFI 3  See below for 10.12.4 brightness fix

Working:

• Internal graphics with full acceleration, brightness control using scroll lock/pause-break keys
  • Sound via VoodooHDA (built-in mic, speakers as well as TRRS headset jack. Volume and Mute fix in Info.plist necessary)
  • Touchpad with 2-finger scroll
  • Internal PS/2 keyboard
  • 3 USB 3.0 ports
  • Wired gigabit Ethernet
  • WiFi (replacement DW 1510 Broadcom card)
  • Built-in webcam

Not working:

• Sleep (wakes up instantly)
  • Original Intel 6235 WiFi + Bluetooth
  • TrackPoint/Nub/Nipple mouse
  • Validity Fingerprint reader
  • WiFi on/off button

Not tested (yet):

• Docking
  • VGA-out
  • DisplayPort-out
  • HDMI Audio
  • SD Card Reader

I will updated the lists as I test more things.

Main reference for this was RehabMan’s Elitebook guide.

10.12.4 Backlight Brightness control fix

Download updated EFI folder (zip 19MB): EFI 10.12.4

Fixes included:

• Removed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • Updated VoodooHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist to include Mute Fix
  • Added SSDT-PNLF.aml in ACPI/patched as per guide
  • Edited config.plist to load SSDT-PNLF.aml
  • Fixed backlight control (using this guide)
    • Re-patched DSDT in MacIASL with the following fixes only from “RehabMan-Laptop”:
      • battery_HP-ProBook-4x0s-G1.txt
      • graphics_Rename-GFX0.txt
      • graphics_HD4K_low.txt
    • Added AppleBacklightInjector.kext

Extra .kexts for SD card reader: JMicron.zip

osx-usr-local

8 Responses to “New Hackintosh: HP EliteBook Folio 9470m”

1. neil says:
    Firefox 52.0 Firefox 52.0 Mac OS X  10.12 Mac OS X 10.12
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.12; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0

Thanks for the EFI. Do you have the settings required for clover please ?

2. Steve says:
    Google Chrome 58.0.3029.81 Google Chrome 58.0.3029.81 Mac OS X  10.12.4 Mac OS X 10.12.4
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_12_4) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/58.0.3029.81 Safari/537.36

Hey, thanks for the EFI directory. With vanilla 10.12 it works great!

Was there anything else required to get brightness controls working? For one reason or another, using that EFI 10.12.4 directory doesn’t allow be to control brightness with the keyboard, and no brightness options are listed under System Preferences -> Display either.

3. C.P says:
    Google Chrome 57.0.2987.133 Google Chrome 57.0.2987.133 Windows 10 x64 Edition Windows 10 x64 Edition
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/57.0.2987.133 Safari/537.36

I made some modifications to address the following:

Boot screen graphical corruption
    Audio
    Screen brightness
    Power management/Speedstep

EFI Folder here

I’m using an HP branded Bcm943225hmb which gives both wifi and bluetooth no issue

• C.P says:

Also, the OP’s issue with sleep and wifi button may be related to the card he’s using – sleep works perfectly for me, as does the wifi/bluetooth hardware button.

I tried to get AppleALC working for a more native audio solution, but it would only playback through headphones instead of internal speakers. It also caused some weird shutdown issues for me.

Sticking with VoodooHDA in EFI for now.

• Matthieu says:
        Firefox 52.0 Firefox 52.0 Ubuntu x64 Ubuntu x64
        Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0

Thanks for sharing, I’ll try out your fixes on my machine. Do you mind if I mirror your EFI folder in the post for the sake of completeness?

• C.P says:

Sure, go right ahead.

I discovered after another clean install that screen brightness still doesn’t work…. I think it has something to do with the VoodooHDA installation. I’ll have to do some more testing on that

• C.P says:

Figured it out brightness!

Here’s the steps I took after a fresh install:

Mount EFI partition, copy over contents of downloaded EFI

Install latest Clover EFI package with “Install only in ESP” and osxaptiofix2drv selected

Run Kext Utility, wait till it finishes processing, reboot. Brightness adjustment should work after that.

I suspect it’s repairing permissions or updating some of the cache files that makes the difference, but for me it’s just easier to run kext utility and have it do all of that for me.

Note that no kexts are actually being installed in the last step, the utility just repairs some permissions/caches.

• Medo says:
      Google Chrome 58.0.3029.83 Google Chrome 58.0.3029.83 GNU/Linux x64 GNU/Linux x64
      Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/58.0.3029.83 Safari/537.36

Thanks for sharing your EFI my probook 6470b with Mac 10.12.4 working great thanks to your EFI so thank you very much 😚😚😚🙌👍